Mesa Water History: Water Reflections

In the early 1900s, local families drilled their water from independent artesian wells. Understanding that water is the most essential resource for the economic development of any region, the town founders quickly looked for solutions to bring water to their residents.

The La Habra Valley Land and Water Company was established in 1910 and aimed to serve the domestic and irrigation water needs. Three years later, the Fairview Farms Mutual Water Company was formed and by 1918 it was followed by the Newport Heights Irrigation District, Newport Mesa Irrigation District, and the Santa Ana Heights Water Company. These water districts paved the way for the Mesa Water Consolidated Water District, now known as Mesa Water District.